There’s a widespread belief that if you want to be a successful blogger you need to have your own domain. Here we examine 5 reasons for and against running off your own domain.
5 Reasons You Need Your Own Domain
- Having your own domain looks more professional. More significantly, you own domain gives you credibility – you look like you take blogging seriously.
- You can do more with your own domain, especially if you use a WordPress self hosted blog. Ultimately, having your own domain name and hosting gives you more control over your blog.
- You can easily “right-click” protect your photos and blog content with a simple Plugin. This is essential for a Mummy Blogger.
- Domains come with a personalised email address.
- You don’t really own your blogger blog (though you do own the content).
5 Reasons You Don’t Need Your Own Domain
- If you have great content that people want to read then advertisers and PR companies will be willing to work with you regardless of your domain status (see above). It stands to reason that great content + good readership is more valuable than having your own domain but neither of those things.
- You may not be interested in marketing or monetising your blog and thus, issues of professionalism aren’t relevant.
- It’s free.
- One of the main benefits of having your own domain is the ability to develop a “brand”. As a Mummy/Personal Blogger this may not be your goal.
What do you think? Have you got your own domain or not and why?